Job Posting: Treasurer/Collector
The Town of Clarksburg seeks qualified applicants for the position of Treasurer/Collector. This is a full-time position with benefits. The desired candidate will have experience in a financial management capacity, preferably in a municipal Treasurer/Collector’s office. Must be bondable. To apply please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Town of Clarksburg, 111 River Road, Clarksburg MA 01247 ATTN: Town Administrator. The position will remain open until filled.
Under direction of the Town Administrator, responsible for collection, disbursement, reporting and proper accounting of municipal funds in conformance with Massachusetts General Laws.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages Town’s finances; balances bank accounts; invests monies following established regulations.
- Generates and prints tax bills; collects all taxes and other mandated fees.
- Verifies and disburses all payables; responsible for timely processing of all accounts receivable.
- Prepares, submits, and maintains all State and Federal tax reports.
- Prepares, submits, and maintains all payroll records including retirement and deferred compensation.
- Represents Town with State departments and agencies on matters of unemployment, insurance and compliance.
- Receives bankruptcy information and researches records to determine money due Town; notifies court of same.
- Processes municipal lien certificates.
- Provides benefit counseling to new employees.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds to citizen inquiries and requests.
- Manages employee records.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Duties require knowledge of accounting and tax collection equivalent to an Associate's degree, three years related experience and/or training.
Thorough knowledge of fundamentals of record keeping principles and practices.
Thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including the use of computers.
Knowledge of computer software programs frequently used for data entry and management. This includes but is not limited to Microsoft Word and Excel.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; to establish positive public relations for the Town; and to interact effectively with a wide variety of people.
Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
Ability to accurately prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports.
Financial management skills.
Must have the ability to be bonded.
Possession of Massachusetts Municipal Treasurer’s & Collector’s Certification within three years of hire.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Normal office environment, not subject to extremes in temperature, noise, odors, etc.
Regularly uses computer keyboards and calculator requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
May spend extended periods on telephone.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.