Job Posting - Assessors Clerk
The Town of Clarksburg seeks qualified candidates for the part-time position of Assessors Clerk. This position supports the Board of Assessors and has frequent contact with other town departments, real estate agents, developers, attorneys, appraisers, surveyors, and the general public. Prior municipal experience is recommended but not required. A full job description can be viewed at www.clarksburgma.gov. To apply please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Town of Clarksburg, 111 River Road, Clarksburg, MA 01247, ATTN: Town Administrator. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Makes frequent contact with other town departments, real estate agents, developers, attorneys, appraisers, surveyors, and the general public pertaining to field cards, land maps, owners of properties, assessed values, or any other assessor’s information. Contacts are in person, in writing and by phone.
- Updates field cards, map and parcel book, and computer records when received from Registry of Deeds or mortgage lenders or tax collector.
- Maintains and updates mapping information; identifies map and lot numbers for land transfers or land splits. Submit plans of land splits, Surveys etc.
- Maintains and updates in hard copies, to be filed, all information pertaining to properties consisting of deeds, maps, surveys, permits etc.
- Receives building permit from the building inspections pertaining to new construction, alterations, additions etc. Enter all building permits into CAMA, print and attach record card to completed building permit and deliver to Assessor.
- Assists residents in completing exemption forms, maintains information, and enters data into computer.
- Provides abutter information for Board of Appeals and Planning Board, as well as other boards or agencies or general public.
- Composes and types letter for the Board of Assessors when needed.
- Has access to department-related confidential information including personal information about citizens.
- Maintains throughout the year, and submits end of the year information; sales, building permits, land splits, survey maps and forms of lists to selected vendor.
- Maintains throughout the year, new or changes on land and ownership records, and submits information to Cartographic Associates at the end of the year.
- Process all excise abatements same day they come in and balance weekly with Treasure/Collectors Office.
- Balance Excise totals when received from RMV.
- Balance weekly & monthly with Treasurer all excise, real & personal property abatements.
- During the month of January hand out abatement forms as required, when returned, stamp them received and deliver to Assessor. (No abatement forms will be accepted after close of business on Feb 1st or first day when bills are due.)
- Balance monthly with the Accountant the overlay account.
- Assist in preparation of statutory exemptions.
- Process state reimbursement for statutory exemptions, process all senior & veteran exemptions.
- Prepare annual report from recap sheet.
- Verify legal descriptions/information on deeds and maps as to their accuracy. All deeds must be reviewed against current record card and assessor maps and required changes noted in detail. If deed is unclear, the noted attorney’s office should be contacted for clarification. The new owner name needs to be entered under care of in CAMA. These need to be processed as the come in and delivered to the Assessor to make parcel changes in CAMA.
- Review deeds and maps and recommend changes to database if discrepancies are found. Coordinate changes with Treasurer/Tax Collector.
- Record and code all sales, review coded sales with assessor. Send Sales Inspection letter out to new owners. Prepare, send and process Sales Questionnaires.
- Prepare, send and process 3ABC forms.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of personal property data.
- Mail out letters and notices as required.
- Other duties as assigned by Assessors.